Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Hell

Is Hell literal? I have been asked this question over and over again by the same guy lately. His eyes are cold but not calloused, more scared. "I want to know" He says. I do too. But I think soon I will.

I believe in punishment. But eternal damnation? It doesn't make any sense. "What's the point?" I think I know, because if there's ever anyone that deserved it, it is me. I deserve it. My heart filled with obvious, visible, palatable iniquity must needs be damned.

What then is this grace that is spoken so highly of? Why am I even breathing? Why am I able to sit and look at this screen and type this ridiculous rambling list of questions?

I do believe in my total depravity. My total, total inability to live up to a standard. Even my own standard. It is not possible.

Jesus, appeal my case! I am so dead, so devastated, so deserving of being crushed in the wine press of Your wrath. Clothe me, or destroy me. I only deserve the one. I can only attain the one. I can only desire the one. You can not be taken hold of, You can only take hold of. You are the Beautiful One.

God, have mercy!

Hell is not about punishment, but about the goodness and greatness and beauty, and perfection and righteousness of God. I am so bland.

READ THIS: http://www.desiringgod.org/resource-library/sermons/the-echo-and-insufficiency-of-hell-part-1

No comments:

Post a Comment